Monday, August 11, 2008

Books on Tape

Since we are commuting for what I have resigned is two hours, I went to the library on Friday and got some books on tape. Crime and Punishment for him and Jane Eyre for me. I also got one fun thing for each of us, Garrison Keillor comedy show and some chick-lit book that looked amusing.
And then, I have come to a fatal flaw in my plan. I have commuted to Louisville twice with my CD's and now dont wish to get out of my car.
You see, I dont just read books. I consume them. And if I dont find them consumable by chapters three or four, then I dont finish them at all. There is rarely a "powering through" if you will. In fact, the only book that I found intolerable but I finished was Bram Stoker's Dracula. If, in fact, I have committed to reading them, I have committed to finishing them in entirety, usually in one sitting. I find it impalatable to work, or sleep or even dress when I am mid-book. I tend to stay up until I finish them, I have read at stop lights, in bathrooms, even with book under keyboard when I was supposed to be working. So now, with Jane Eyre caught with a torrent of love for her master and I with no commute tomorrow, am dumbfounded and about to go to check out the book from the library simply to have it finished. Which, of course, defeats the purpose. And the library, is closed as it is seven o'clock leaving me wonting and simpering and really very vexed.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books EVER! I have read it dozens of times. So, so sad... but so, so good! Happy listening! Better to listen to the fluff so you don't mind leaving it.

Rebekah Judd said...

Tina, you should also check out the BBC radio mystery shows that are frequently in the same section of the library. Fantastically addicting.